Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Half Moon Bay, South of SF


I can never leave California without making a quick post on Half Moon Bay, a delightful little town 30 miles south of San Francisco where we were taken by our hosts on our last day before flying east. After a scenic drive along the Pacific Coast when we actually slept from the exhaustion of the night before, we passed some pumpkin patches, a first for me! Apparently a pumpkin festival is in the works for October. I would have loved to taste authentic pumpkin pies, but sadly we didnt have enough time to stop.

Because we were famished and badly in need of a restroom break, we headed to the center of the town where we went to a small restaurant that looked promising called Lighthouse Deli and Cafe. And boy, were we glad we stopped at this restaurant even though we missed a seafood lunch as a result! They have the most amazing sandwiches, and the best Greek salad Im still drooling on until now! Be sure to put your pin on their map (to mark from which country you came from)! Quite a lot of people from the Philippines, Im glad to note :)

Next we drove around the scenic town and made a stop at the bay and marina, where we saw fishermen hauling in their fresh catch for the day. There was even a festival going on at one of the huge empty lots. We passed sidestreet stalls of families selling fresh vegetables and fruits! And I had my first glimpse of brussel spouts! Ooh, how I wish I could take it with me... Overall, I really like Half Moon Bay (I even like the name), and I wish we could have had more time to explore the place. It was a welcome respite from the bustle of San Francisco city and a good break of what was to come for the rest of our trip :)

Do you see those brussel spouts at only $2.50 for the whole stalk?!

No comments: